Radiating Sunshine: DIY Salads in a Jar

Wednesday, February 3, 2016

DIY Salads in a Jar


Hello Veggie or Salad Lovers!! Today, I'm sharing my new favorite way to eat veggies... in a JAR! A mason jar to be more specific. I swear its practically an unwritten rule for me to love everything that comes from a mason jar. Whether it's homemade lemonade, my pens on my desk, or my toothbrush mason jars are amazing. So, its no surprise that they also keep delicious and fresh salads in them and are ready to be eaten at any moment.

A few weeks ago, my mom taught me how to make these salads in a jar, so today I'm sharing her tips and tricks with you all. Hope you love these recipes as much as I do!

Ingredients:  (4 Jars)
non-cream based dressing -- balsamic or italian would be my suggestion
1 cup of chopped onions
1 cup of chopped cucumbers- with seeds removed
1/2 cup of chopped or shredded carrots
1/2 cup of chopped celery
1/2 cup green peppers
2 hard boiled eggs
1 avocado (equally divided)
1 or 2 chicken breasts or protein of your choice
4-5 cups of mixed greens
cheese to sprinkle on top
sunflower seeds to sprinkle on top

Now, one thing my mom impressed upon me when she was teaching me how to make the salads is that the order is everything. It's vital that the leafy greens don't get mixed into the dressing (or the salad will be soggy)! So, the first steps are to fill the jars with dressing to the ML line. I would say it's probably 2-3 tbsp for each jar!

Then you add in the ingredients in the order of the list above. I love putting the onions and cucumbers in first because the dressing kind of caramelizes and pickles them (delicious)! After that you just pack everything in and make sure all of the wet ingredients are covering the dressing. Then, you stuff the jars with leafy greens until they are nearly full. I love mozzarella cheese in my jars (I know super healthy).
So, there you have it! Salads in a Jar. These salads are good for 5 days and are delicious every day! I alternate between dressings and protein to add different flavors. If you have any recipes, I would love for you to share them below :)

4 comments:

  1. Such a good idea!! I love salads but hate putting them together each morning before work so I need to try this asap! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelby it will literally change your salad eating habits forever! Enjoy :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. They are the best! You can customize them to however you want to eat them! I would definitely recommend them for lunch or dinner on the go!

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment and stopping by Radiating Sunshine! Your comments mean the world to me, so I will do my very best to respond to them. If you have any direct questions please email me at radiatingsunshineblog@gmail.com

Remember, "every time you smile at a someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing"- Mother Teresa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...