Radiating Sunshine: A Best Buds Kind of Weekend

Monday, October 21, 2013

A Best Buds Kind of Weekend

Layers upon layers upon layers!
So, I have had the best couple of days working with Best Buds. For starters, this past Thursday was my first day of the mentorship I have just started working at Rock Creek School in Frederick, MD. The mentorship is every Thursday and I do activities with some buddies from the ARC of Frederick County. 

Working with people with intellectual disabilities is one of my callings. Ever since I got involved Freshmen year it has become one of my passions and I feel so blessed to get the opportunity to work with so many amazing people. On Friday, I got to dance the night away working with L'Arche and it was so awesome. We had a sing along and I learned a new dance move called "The Kate." I love working with that community and am so blessed to work with them once a month. 

And finally one of the events I've been looking forward to was Special Olympics on Saturday! The Mount has been hosting Special Olympics for 25 years so it was a great anniversary, with great athletes, and great competition. I was working on Long Distance running as a timer in the morning, and then I hung out with the power lifters and then helped out at flag football. It was a very chilly day but it was a wonderful experience. 

My favorite moment of the whole day was when the champion power lifter went up on stage, lifted his max weight successfully, and when he put the bar down his coach was right there and he gave her the biggest hug. They stood their embraced as I stood there tearing and it was just the best moment. Its hard for me to even put into words the raw emotion that I felt, but it was so pure and so true and I wish I could bottle it up and give it to you all. 

So, that was a bit of my weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment and stopping by Radiating Sunshine! Your comments mean the world to me, so I will do my very best to respond to them. If you have any direct questions please email me at radiatingsunshineblog@gmail.com

Remember, "every time you smile at a someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing"- Mother Teresa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...