Radiating Sunshine: Weekend Recap 10/6/14

Monday, October 6, 2014

Weekend Recap 10/6/14

So, let me say just say that this has probably been the worst post-weekend depression I have had in a very long time. If you read this blog regularly then you know that I always write about my weekend and usually how amazing they are... but, this weekend in particular was truly one I will always remember. 

Camping Weekend

Friday: 

Josh came over around 5:15pm to pick me up for our camping adventure. Before he got there I was just sitting at my desk tying some loose ends, finishing some blog posts, and finishing up a present for a friend. Once he got there and we had everything in the car we were off for our camping adventure. We had to make a couple stops along the way... we needed to pick up ice for the cooler, get dinner (pizza), and check in to the campsite. 

Josh really knows how to pack a trunk! 
We knew the forecast for the weekend was bleak. Friday night has an 80% chance of thunderstorms and on Saturday night the high was going to be about 38 degrees! But, we stuck it out and as we were driving to the campground I prayed that God would help us enjoy this weekend even if the weather conditions were not up to par.

Once, we arrived at our campsite the sun was setting...so we rushed to get everything set up and to waterproof our tent. It has been raining off and on all day, so we knew we couldn't mess around with rain! We basically tied three different tarps onto our tent in the hopes to prevent water from coming inside... of course, water did come in but, it wasn't too bad.

In regards to the tent, I feel kind of bad! It was my job to get the tent from home and I told Josh it was like a medium sized tent... well, turns out my ten year old me memory isn't as accurate as I would like so we were a little squished.

Once, our friends arrived and the tents were all set up we tried to stay dry and ended up playing cards in our friend's tent. DJ, Amanda, and I taught Josh how to play rummy which is one of my favorite card games. We called it an early night and crawled into our somewhat dry tents!
Amanda and DJ's tent was definitely high tech compared to our tarp fortress on the right!
Saturday: 

After it rained and poured ALL night... Saturday morning came with the promise of sunshine! We got up around 8:00am and hung up all of our wet clothes up and started prepping for breakfast. DJ and Amanda brought a griddle to cook things on so, we made eggs, bacon, and pancakes! If you're looking for an easy breakfast while camping I would definitely recommend this one... it is so delicious and doesn't take that many ingredients.

That's some crispy bacon!
After breakfast, we all got dressed and set off on a hike. We had a hard time finding the trail that would lead us to Cunningham Falls so we kind of just walked and explored until we finally got to the lake and could get our bearings straight.


The hike to Cunningham was so blissful! We took the Cliff Trail which, is labeled moderate but, I think it was pretty easy. It only took us about 45 minutes from the lake to get to the falls. We probably could have hiked it in 30 minutes but, we stopped and took a lot of pictures (no complaints here).


Speaking of pictures... when I got to my camera to upload photos on Sunday afternoon I was shocked by the amount of pictures we took, 235 in 2 days... woah! In the mix of these photos were some really funny candid pictures that well made us all look like supermodels.
Model status while hiking Cunningham Falls!
I think the best part of the whole camping weekend was the hike. We hiked up the falls, jumped rocks around the rivers leading in, had a pb&j picnic at the top and just enjoyed the sunny beautiful day! We really couldn't have asked for a better day!

Once we got back to the campsite, we struggled to make a fire. The wood that the Camp Store sold was terrible. It was still green and it was beyond frustrating. But, after some necessary patience and Amanda'a amazing fanning of the flames we got a fire going long enough to make some S'mores!

For dinner, DJ grilled us up some hamburgers, hot dogs, and made beans and corn over the fire.

Snuggled up and ready to play some cards!
Sunday: 
It was a cold and chilly night on Saturday but, a wonderful Sunday morning! The sun was still shining and we made a quick breakfast and packed everything up. I was definitely sad to see if all end but, I absolutely loved spending the weekend away with Josh and friends. We couldn't have asked for a better time and we're hoping to plan another trip in the Spring when it is a little warmer.

After we got home, Josh and I showered and headed to church and then we went our separate ways! I can't wait for the days when we can spend Sunday afternoons together relaxing on the sofa, eating chips and dip, and watching football. I know life as a grown up will be tough, but honestly I am so looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment and stopping by Radiating Sunshine! Your comments mean the world to me, so I will do my very best to respond to them. If you have any direct questions please email me at radiatingsunshineblog@gmail.com

Remember, "every time you smile at a someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing"- Mother Teresa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...