Radiating Sunshine: Welcome to the World of an RA

Thursday, October 2, 2014

Welcome to the World of an RA

So, I feel like it is about time I update you all on life as a Freshmen RA! For the past two years, I had always worked with upperclassman, and last March I found out that I would be working with Freshmen residents. Needless to say, I was really excited. 

Freshmen present so many wonderful blessings and the occasional challenge. I've been so lucky with my floor of girls! They are all so wonderful, and I love being able to stop in their room and just hear about the little things that have been going on. Recently we have been leaving messages to each other on our doors, and it is so funny when I'm walking to the bathroom and I notice my name on one of their boards with a joke or a question. 

Some challenges as a Freshmen RA obviously revolve around time. Freshmen need a little more attention than upperclassmen residents, and I've been really working hard on being more present on the floor and leaving my door open. I've actually started to feel sad about graduation because that means I won't get to watch my girls grow up and explore college... anyways, I'll save the rest of my mushy-gushy-oh-my-gosh-I-graduate in a few months talk for another post!

Anyways, what have I been up to as an RA?


one... bonding with other RAs! I literally have the best RA staff, and I am endlessly thankful for them and all of the fun things we've been doing.

two... programming! I've been a busy bee when it comes to programming! I live in a first year student community so some programs that I have done and found successful are:

Hall canvas decorating & ice breakers
S'Mores Night
Time Capsule
Quad Games

Upcoming: 
Cupcake Decorating
Mug Decorating
Thankful Tree
Christmas Party


three... bulletin board and door decorations!


The way my school does bulletin boards and door decs is on a monthly schedule... so the 15th of every month I have to replace the old and put up new things! September's Theme is ' Fall into Good Health' and I did little apple cider cups for my girls' door decorations!

Last month's theme was: Let's Shine This Year and they all got suns! On each ray of the sun there are tips on making their Freshmen Year a successful one.


four... I've been loving my residents! Freshmen residents are literally the best and I can't tell you how nice it is to come back to my room and find that they wrote little notes on my door to show they care about me! 


Also, Happy Fall Y'All :) 

2 comments:

  1. What an awesome RA you were! My freshman year RA was the BEST. She was a sophomore but studied abroad the whole next year, and we stayed in touch - so I have hope for you after graduating :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved my freshmen RA too! I'm really trying hard to be super present for my girls!

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment and stopping by Radiating Sunshine! Your comments mean the world to me, so I will do my very best to respond to them. If you have any direct questions please email me at radiatingsunshineblog@gmail.com

Remember, "every time you smile at a someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing"- Mother Teresa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...