Radiating Sunshine: My Thoughts on Being 21

Monday, April 7, 2014

My Thoughts on Being 21

So, this week I decided to take a break from the weekend recap and instead recap how it feels to be twenty-one! 


So, everyone always says that your twenty first birthday is one you probably won't remember… but, as I have said before that wasn't my experience for my twenty first birthday. I had two drinks: a malibu bay breeze and a margarita; and called it a night. 

As an RA I have worked with students who were belligerently drunk. I've heard horror stories about students who drink themselves to death. I've seen how alcohol can change a person and I have read that alcohol is a depressant. So, I guess I'm just conditioned to think that "getting turnt" is not the way I want to spend my Saturday night. 

Drinking responsibly is so important. I think that a lot of people my age do not realize that. Heck, our brains are still maturing and if we spend our weekends getting trashed and killing braincells all we're doing is dumbing down our generation. Sure, people have been abusing alcohol for forever but, there is so much research out there, that shows the devastating side effects to getting drunk every weekend. 

However, I'm not gonna sit here and tell you that I'm not going to drink or that you shouldn't either. I'm the type of person that when I go on a diet I can justify having a cookie, because having things in moderation are okay. So, I'm gonna try different drinks and find out what type of beer I like.  
My first drink at a restaurant: Strawberry Patch

 So, 21 isn't that big of a deal… But, it's exciting to know that I can order a drink at a restaurant or go out with friends to celebrate being done our huge presentations for the semester. But, I'm pretty inexperienced when it comes to ordering drinks. I honestly don't even know what I like… so if you have a favorite drink, comment below!

6 comments:

  1. That strawberry patch drink looks killer! I definitely agree with you about ideation...although it took me a couple more years than you to figure it out lol! Sounds like 21 is going well for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Meg!! Yeah, I guess all of the res life training has paid off for my wallet and liver :)

      Delete
  2. Did you wait 'til 21 for your first drink? Have you tried ordering drinks at restaurants prior to 21? I ask because restaurants in new york city never card. In fact they're very forward about offering drinks-- it's been hard resisting b/c I'm not 21 yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been on vacations outside of the US and have ordered drinks there but, I'm from MD and they are huge into carding. Yeah, it would make sense that they never card in NYC because the more drinks you buy the higher the tip they get. And I bet especially since it would be so easy.

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday! Turning 21 is always exciting. It opens up a new chapter in your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm really excited to see what my 21st year holds :)

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment and stopping by Radiating Sunshine! Your comments mean the world to me, so I will do my very best to respond to them. If you have any direct questions please email me at radiatingsunshineblog@gmail.com

Remember, "every time you smile at a someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing"- Mother Teresa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...