Radiating Sunshine: 26 Days of Rest

Thursday, January 9, 2014

26 Days of Rest

Winter Break. Two glorious words. Two words I clung to for the majority of last semester. And two words that end today. This break has been a challenge. My grandpa passed away, we had to put down our cat, and my car was in and out of the shop costing me my paychecks that I was hoping to save for my study abroad trip to Austria. So, those three things monopolized my winter break.

But, despite those three things I can't help but feel like I had a great break. I spent so much time with my family and friends. On the days when I didn't work I tried to stay in my pajamas as long as possible (1pm= record breaking). I read two novels, Summer People and The Blue Bistro by Elin Hilderbrand. I cooked and baked. I also discovered that I can make a delicious loaf of bread. And while we are on the topic of food I wanted to note that I enjoyed the blessing of not having to walk outside and down a hill to get dinner.

Now, don't get my wrong. I'm a little excited to go back to school. I miss my friends. I'm not excited to leave home and start classes again though. This semester promises a lot of new opportunities. For starters, I turn 21. For those of you who know me personally, you know that I'm not the biggest fan of birthdays and that I'm not a raging college student. But, I am excited to have a glass of wine at dinner with my parents! I'll probably be the lamest 21 year old ever!! I also will be taking the GRE and prepping for my future when it comes to grad schools. I'll be taking a crash course in german and prepping for my study abroad trip. So, Spring 2014 will be amazing and challenging, but I can't wait to make new memories.


Ravens game with dad!


Check out my beautiful sister! We took this on Christmas Eve.


My grandma loves holding babies and she was bummed when someone took
the youngest baby away from her. So, I sat on her laugh and she got a good 
chuckle from it. I told her "I love you forever, I'll like you for always. As long as
I'm living my baby you'll be" 


And finally I ended break by saying goodbye to my dear cat, Oliver. We rescued 
him over 13 years ago and I've loved him everyday since. I loved his little white socks, 
I loved how cuddly he was. I'm definitely a dog person, but I'm loyal to my baby.

10 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry about your grandpa and your cat :( That's terrible, but I love that you can still find the positive! I wasn't sure if already had your birthday or not, but Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kirstie! It was a hard break but still found joy in the little things! And ohh my birthday isn't until March, but thank you! I have a little ways to go hahaha :)

      - Alex @ Radiating Sunshine

      Delete
  2. I am so sorry to hear about your grandpa and kitty!! I am glad the rest of your break went well though :) Good luck with all of your wonderful 2014 plans!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Raewyn, it was definitely a hard break but I'm glad I am finally getting back into the swing of things! Hope your 2014 is wonderful!

      - Alex @ Radiating Sunshine

      Delete
  3. It's times like these when we get to spend time with our family and friends and always think of our loved ones that we will hold forever in our hearts. I am thinking of you and your family. So happy you can make an awesome loaf of bread. I have never attempted from fear of failing. Your family is beautiful. I enjoyed reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your beautiful comment! When I officially master the recipe I'm gonna put it on the blog! The only thing you can do wrong is with the yeast but I bet you could figure it out. Can't hurt to try and even if the dough doesn't rise I'd just bake it anyways. hahaha

      - Alex @ Radiating Sunshine

      Delete
  4. lol I remember cooking with my grandma all the time. She always done a good job. She doesn't cook anymore. Maybe an egg here and there. I will looking for the recipe when you do figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After everything that happened to you I'm glad you eventually had a nice winter break! Just realized I'm quite fortunate that I only need to climb down the stairs to get meals because my cafeteria is in the same building. Also, I'm the same with you, I'm also not a birthday person but somehow being 21 sounds interesting (you know, being a 'real' adult) and I'm also turning 21 this April! Good luck with your GRE and German course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh stop! You're so lucky its in the same building go you :) And yay we will maybe have to do a 21 birthday giveaway or something!! Thanks I'll need all the luck I can get.

      - Alex @ Radiating Sunshine

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment and stopping by Radiating Sunshine! Your comments mean the world to me, so I will do my very best to respond to them. If you have any direct questions please email me at radiatingsunshineblog@gmail.com

Remember, "every time you smile at a someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing"- Mother Teresa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...