Radiating Sunshine: Photos and Writing the Details

Monday, January 6, 2014

Photos and Writing the Details

We live in a world where we are blessed and cursed to have social media. In the past 50 years technology has soared beyond measure. I now have a device that I can call text home on regardless of where I am. I can use that same device to take a picture and then virtually share it with thousands of people. I can even go back a few years and find that photo that I posted and share it again if I choose. I can be viewed as a social media fanatic. I have a twitter, a Facebook, a Instagram, a blog… I have three different email accounts and am almost always reachable by text or some form of social media. But, as I realize how convenient it is to always be reachable… or to be able to share a picture… or an article I found inspiring, I also realizing how sad and dangerous it is. Now, I am not addicted to my phone or any social media app. Yes, I would miss all of you like crazy and would miss Radiating Sunshine, but I could live without it. But, I do wonder how this world has started to be run by technology and that little things like calling someone on the phone or simply printing out a photo has been lost a times. 

On a couple of occasions over the past few years I have made either a memory book for someone I love or collage for a relative that has passed. I've looked at probably over a thousand photos and have used those photos to continue to share the memories that were made. But, one thing I noticed is that no one decided to write information on the photos about the memories. Sure, if I'm lucky there would be a date and someone present who I can ask questions regarding the photo but, no one wrote the details. 

Now, compared to the technological world we live in, where its so easy to share a photo and comment what is happening or why its special. The photos I was looking at (from the 30s-90s) don't have the privilege to just be pulled up on Facebook. Most of the time I was working off of no information and had to make good guesses on what was going on. Now, it definitely gives one the opportunity to cherish the photos more, but it occasionally lives you completely clueless to what happened in the photograph. But, there was something so nice about having the photo in my hand being able to decipher who's birthday this was or how old they were turning. 

 Many people my age aren't concerned with printing photos. Sure, we can all share the pictures on social media but, actually printing the photos… heck no! Well, I'm a twenty year old college student who waits for Shutterfly or Snapfish to give free prints or a penny for a picture deal to get all of those memories printed. After going through other people's memories and making picture books for them. I realized that my life was in picture print until I was about 10 and then middle school happened and there are virtually no photos of me. I realized that around that time my family got our first digital camera so everything was just saved onto a computer. Almost like it was forgotten.  So, after realizing that if in 50 or 60 years someone in my life would want to see memories of me from when I was a teenager or in college they would be in trouble because almost everything is either online or on a hard drive. 

So, I decided to check off #100 of my 101 in 1001 list which, was to print out photos and write detailed descriptions on the back... for whoever is curious about my life. Its crazy how many photos you actually take. My numbers definitely went up when I started the blog, because now I use the famous line "its for the blog" to justify the quantity of memories I have saved. Not sure if its a good thing or a bad thing yet, but I'm glad I have a ton of photos to remember my life by. And as I started to write the descriptions I realized I had trouble remembering the details of some middle school events which, goes to show that I'm glad I'm doing this now and not when I'm 50. 

Now, I'm not gonna lie to y'all. It was time consuming. But, I believe it was time well spent and in 60 years if I develop a memory problem, I want to be able to have memories that I can find comfort in because I know who those people are in the photograph or who's birthday we are celebrating. That will be worth it to me. 


What is your favorite (non-technological) way to remember memories? 

8 comments:

  1. I have a box with memories, i'm planning to make a box out of a old suitcase to have more place! I keep everything from travels, analog pictures,...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa, an old suitcase is perfect! Oh my gosh that is so crafty and would work so well.

      - Alex @ Radiating Sunshine

      Delete
  2. This is so awesome! I want to do this! I have a box of photos, and it would be so awesome (and like you said, time consuming) to go and write a description on all of them, but it would so be worth it. I'm also like you and I wait for the penny prints! I get so excited when I get those emails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiffany, it is definitely worth it to write it all out. And me too! I refuse to unsubscribe because I can't miss my notification for the penny prints :)

      - Alex @ Radiating Sunshine

      Delete
  3. omg i love this!!! I am so doing this with my photos throughout the year.

    xo & now following
    mariahlauren.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mariah, let me know if you do it! And I'll have to hop over to your blog :)

      - Alex @ Radiating Sunshine

      Delete
  4. I just love this idea!!! I'm such a big fan of printing photos, too, and I just love the framed photos in our home :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg, you and your fiancé should start doing it!!

      - Alex @ Radiating Sunshine

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment and stopping by Radiating Sunshine! Your comments mean the world to me, so I will do my very best to respond to them. If you have any direct questions please email me at radiatingsunshineblog@gmail.com

Remember, "every time you smile at a someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing"- Mother Teresa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...