Radiating Sunshine: Solo Eating Tips & Tricks

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Solo Eating Tips & Tricks

I have lived on my own for almost a year now and have slowly started mastering the art of eating on my own. It's a lot harder than you think! Some days I wish Josh lived with my so I had someone to finish my leftovers and or allow me to get all of the good deals when you purchase in bulk. 

I swear grocery stores do not try to save folks who live by themselves money. I literally have three packages of sausages in my freezer because it was actually cheaper to do the buy two get two free deal than to just buy one! I recognize that it is an incredible privilege to have access to all of this food! I don't believe in wasting food either, so I have been working to master the art of eating for one. 

Grocery Shopping: 
(1) Only shop with a basket -- if you get a cart, you will fill it with unnecessary food, which will cause unnecessary spending. 
(2) Set a spending limit, and stick to it-- I go grocery shopping every two weeks and I spend about $40-$60 every trip depending on how much food I need to get or if I'm hosting Josh! I usually set the spending limit so I can get gas points and I stick to my budget. 
(3) Buy what you will eat -- Don't buy six bananas unless you'll eat six bananas! With fresh produce it can be really tempting to fill your cart with a bunch of delicious and healthy options. But, remember these items go bad usually within a week or two! 
(4) Inspect your items and expiration dates -- When you eat on your own you need to know how to purchase unripened items and items that don't expire for awhile. It is literally the worst when you have to throw out moldy food that you never ate! 

Cooking for One: 
(1) Meal prep & portions -- I portion out everything and I'm not afraid to use tupperware containers! Every meal has a balanced portion of protein, carbs, and veggies. 
(2) Spices can change the same meals -- this might be my favorite trick! I'll usually buy the same either a package of thin chicken breasts, rice, and spinach or veggies. I've learned how to change al of these into different flavors to make my mind think I'm eating something new every night. Here are two examples: 
a. grilled chicken breasts with a balsamic glaze, garlic rice, and sautéed spinach and arugula. 
b. breaded chicken, risotto, and spinach arugula salad  

My Usual Purchases: 
- Red Baron Deep Crust Pizzas
- Simply Lemonade {Blueberry}
- Orange & pineapple juice
- Coffee creamer
- Spinach and Arugula salad (or mixed greens)
- Balsamic or oil based dressing
- Rice or a healthy starch for the week 
- Loaf of bread (I love oatmeal bread)
- Fruit (bananas, strawberries, or apples)
- Some form of dessert (ice-cream usually)

I still have a lot to learn about cooking on my own. Sometimes, I make too large or portions or too small of portions. Sometimes, I don't eat all of the food before it goes bad! I love cooking and eating in because it is so much cheaper and almost always is healthier. 

Happy eating friends!

2 comments:

  1. I had mastered the art of shopping and cooking for one... and then my boyfriend moved in with me. Now we have junk food everywhere. Such is life.

    Sarah
    The Midwest Darling

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahaha my boyfriend literally eats for two by himself. He will totally throw off my eating plans!

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment and stopping by Radiating Sunshine! Your comments mean the world to me, so I will do my very best to respond to them. If you have any direct questions please email me at radiatingsunshineblog@gmail.com

Remember, "every time you smile at a someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing"- Mother Teresa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...