Radiating Sunshine: Radiating Sunshine's Pie Crust

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Radiating Sunshine's Pie Crust

Hi Folks! Today I am writing about the best pie crust I have ever made! Last week when I was planning my fourth of July get together with my co-workers I really wanted to make a blueberry pie for everyone! I've been a huge blueberry pie fan (since I fell in love with blueberries in Maine years ago). So, I picked up my berries and I got ready to bake. Well, long story short this pie crust recipe is a complete original. While, I was googling recipes I noticed I was missing two important things: shortening and a food processor. So, I was already struggling finding a recipe that would work.

Well, I decided to take a chance and see what I could come up with. I pulled out my KitchenAid mixer and decided to use butter and coconut oil to substitute for shortening and began experimenting! As most pie makers know, pie crusts can be really tricky. The same recipe that has been in your family for decades can suddenly turn out poorly! So, thank goodness this pie crust came out wonderfully!





Ingredients: 
2 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp. salt
8 tbsp of unsalted butter
1/2 cup of coconut oil
3 tbsp of vodka, chilled
1/4 cup ice water
Directions: 
(1) In the KitchenAid mixer (with the dough paddle), mix together the dry ingredients until they are well combined.
(2) Cut the slices of butter and begin to scatter it throughout the dry ingredients.
(3) Gently spoon in the coconut oil. Make sure the sides of the bowl are scraped down.
(4) Sprinkle vodka and ice-water into the dough mixture.
(5) Divide the pie dough into two halves and wrap them in plastic wrap.
(6) Gently roll out the pie crust to form a 4-5 inch disk.
(7) Let the dough sit for 20 minutes in the refrigerator.
(8) Pull out both dough disks and let them rest on the counter for 5 minutes (or until soft).
(9) Gradually roll out the dough to fit into the pie dish.
(10) Once pie crust is in dish and is ready to be baked rub crust with some egg yolk and sprinkle with sugar.
(11) Bake according to your pie directions!
And there you have it! This pie crust was by far one of my proudest accomplishments and makes for a perfect dessert that everyone will enjoy! Hope this recipe works out for all of you and you enjoy coconut oil as much as I do :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment and stopping by Radiating Sunshine! Your comments mean the world to me, so I will do my very best to respond to them. If you have any direct questions please email me at radiatingsunshineblog@gmail.com

Remember, "every time you smile at a someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing"- Mother Teresa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...