Radiating Sunshine: Love Your Office

Friday, March 18, 2016

Love Your Office


Happy Friday friends! Today, I'm shaking things up... instead of writing about my five weekly confessions I'm going to connect with my Happier You Goal for March: Work as Flow and write about five ways I have made my office my happy space!

So, here is my office:
This office has experienced A LOT of change over the several months I have called it mine. To start with, I got new office furniture back in October and new carpet! I still miss the random assortment of mismatched furniture! But, you really can't complain when you have a wrap around desk, beautiful bookshelf, and a ton of file/storage space!

Anyways, once I had all my new furniture in place I officially got to decorate, which will lead me into the first way to make your office your happy space!

JOY INSPIRED DECORATIONS

Happiness researchers suggest that you fill your office space with bright and colorful hues! As well as filling your walls with things/people/memories that mean something to you. If you have photos of loved ones or artwork made by your children, don't leave it at home! Instead create a fun collage, which will not only make your office more welcoming, but will bring you joy while you work. 

My favorite forms of decor are positivity quotes, pictures of flowers from Austria (I'll take real ones too, if you want to send them), cards from different people, pictures of my staff, family, and friends, and various awards or degrees earned. Sometimes, I look around my office and I think "I have way too much stuff on the walls," but I can genuinely say everything has special meaning and purpose! 

Some of my favorite positivity quotes are: 

"Let your smile change the world, but don't let the world change your smile"

"it always seems impossible until its done" 

"for a long time it seemed to me that life was about to begin-- real life. But there was always some obstacle in the way. Something to be gotten through first. Some unfinished business. Time still to be served. A debt to be paid. At last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life. This perspective had helped me to see their is no way to happiness. HAPPINESS IS THE WAY"- Souza 

"You create beauty with your attitude, your behavior, your actions. It's all up to you"

ORGANIZE IN YOUR OWN WAY

I feel fairly confident that if something were to happen to me and I couldn't work someone could come in and learn my system. I have my files clearly labeled. But, everything undoubtedly has a home in my office. I put my housing rosters in the same middle slot on my desk. I keep one on one notes in folders right by my computer. I keep meeting agendas in the cabinet to my left. My snack drawer is the second drawer down on the right (shush, don't tell anyone). Every thing has a space. Now, my office isn't always a beacon of organization. But, I like to organize in my own way! 

BE OKAY WITH CLUTTER

I've been in a number of different offices and I must say the ones that are the most inviting aren't always the ones with the most organization and the least amount of clutter. I've found that having "healthy amounts" of clutter are good for the soul. For example, I have a single vanilla spice tea bag on my desk (unused) and I really should just take it to my apartment. But, there is something about the tea bag that just makes it feel cozy and warm. One of my RD friends, Aaron has this file cabinet industrial piece of furniture that always draws my attention when I go into his office. For awhile, I felt critical about the mismatched furniture. But, now I have grown to love and appreciate it. The cabinet is full of various prizes that may look ordinary to others, but are extraordinary to him.

MAKE A HAPPINESS JAR

Sometimes you just need a little inspiration, so a few weeks back I created a happiness jar! I had so much fun filling it with different positive related things. I put in quotes from my favorite authors, nice words from my co-workers or bosses, and cute little images! Its very comforting to know that the jar is always here whenever I may need it and it kind of serves as an interactive happy booster for me! (send me your favorite quotes to radiatingsunshineblog@gmail.com and I'll add them to my jar)

HAVE COMFORT ITEMS

In my office, I always have a variety of snacks, juice boxes, and a sweater for whenever I'm cold. The positive side, is my office does not have heating or air conditioning. So, I rarely need the sweater... but, its nice to have just in case! Another consideration for your office is having seats for people to sit in when they swing by. I have five seats and I kind of pride myself on having comfortable space for students to sit in when they stop by! Sometimes my office gets so full of people, it is kind of overwhelming. But, I'm glad my students like to visit. Light is also another consideration! Make sure you either have some natural lighting or lamps to brighten up your space. My ceiling lights work really well (i.e. they aren't too overpowering), but having a welcoming office focuses a lot on the lighting of the space.

If there was one thing I could change about my office, I would definitely add a window or maybe a window on my door. Without windows it can get very "closet" feeling, however I think I make up for that with my colorful posters all around my walls. So, there you have it... 5 tips I have used to make my office my happy space!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment and stopping by Radiating Sunshine! Your comments mean the world to me, so I will do my very best to respond to them. If you have any direct questions please email me at radiatingsunshineblog@gmail.com

Remember, "every time you smile at a someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing"- Mother Teresa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...