Radiating Sunshine: Happy Holidays

Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Happy Holidays

This is my first holiday season away from a Catholic school... Since Kindergarten I have always attended Catholic school. I remember making advent wreaths, singing Christmas carols, and Santa even visiting school. When I got hired to work at public university, I didn't think much about how working at a public institution would impact my faith. I remember acknowledging that there weren't any crucifixes already hanging in my apartment when I moved in, but I just hung my cross and went on my way. As this holiday season started to approach and my desires to Christma-fy everything in my life grew stronger, I started to evaluate how saying "Merry Christmas" played a role in my life. 

Now, it's no secret on this blog of mine... but, I love Christmas. I love baking cookies, listening to the music, and finding that perfect gift for someone. I love sending Christmas letters with kind notes in them. I love meeting up with friends and being reunited with family members. I love reading my Advent devotional with my boyfriend and talking about how Jesus plays a role in our lives. I love ripping off the links on my Christmas chain and counting down the days until Jesus is born! And I used to love saying "Merry Christmas" to every single person I came upon. But, as I learn more about myself and this big world with a ton of different people in it... I have felt the profound call to wish people "Happy Holidays." I still profoundly love Christmas and will continue to relish in the holiday that promotes love, family, and giving. But, I think I can truly promote this giving holiday by meeting everyone where they are at. 
I snagged this from Facebook and really liked it!
So, I wish you a Happy Holiday. I wish that you are filled with the joy that the holiday season can bring. Whether you celebrate Christmas with a Christian mindset, Hanukkah, Ramadan, Kwanzaa, Three Kings Day, St. Lucia Day, Bodhi Day, Sol Invictus, Yalda, Yule, Pancha Ganapati, Chalica, Soyal... etc! So, for the remainder of this holiday season I am going to read and learn about a different "holiday" every day. My goal is to learn more about other faiths, traditions, and practices. I also hope to continue to learn how to be more inclusive of everyone who I come across. The true meaning of Christmas to me is spreading love and joy to every single person I meet. So Happy Holidays, friends!

2 comments:

  1. This was really neat to read. Christmas is easily my favorite holiday, but I forget how many others are celebating holidays right now that mean just as much to them. Love that last line about spreading joy to everyone we meet- this should always be the goal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chelsea-- It is really something important to consider that I so easily forget about. I'm just trying to be more inclusive!

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment and stopping by Radiating Sunshine! Your comments mean the world to me, so I will do my very best to respond to them. If you have any direct questions please email me at radiatingsunshineblog@gmail.com

Remember, "every time you smile at a someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing"- Mother Teresa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...