Radiating Sunshine: RA Training 2015

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

RA Training 2015

In these past few weeks, I have experienced several milestones as an emerging student affairs professional. I successfully facilitated and executed RA Training 2015! I opened my own building and even got to assign students to rooms. I led team builders, drove 15-passenger vans, attempted to park said vans, averaged 4 hours of sleep a night, and averaged four cups of coffee a day! I learned so much about my supervisory style and learned some tricks of the trade. As an RA, I loved training... as an RD, I loved training in different ways. I loved getting pumped up and presenting a presentation in a bright and chipper way. I loved learning the names and backgrounds of the RAs we have on staff. I loved having the opportunity to bond with my own staff and watch them grow. Although, I have neglected my personal, emotional, spiritual, physical, and blogable life, I feel like I have accomplished so much. My soul is happy with this profession and I'm excited that classes officially started yesterday! Here is a little preview from my iPhone on how training went for me :)
Initiative: Giant Texas Lizard Egg

The goal of initiatives (is to get me to spell initiatives correctly on the first try, haha jk)... the goal is to build a team and have them problem solve and communicate effectively. We originally had a whole day of team builders planned... but, because of exhaustion and the heat from the Summer's day we decided to only do an hour and a half of initiatives. Each staff had a different initiative and showed up to the field wearing their staff colors! My staff's color was orange and we splatted painted our shirts and wrote "McDream Team" on the back! My Grey's Anatomy loving self was quite thrilled with the idea. "McDream" was inspired by our building theme, which is to "radiate good vibes!" My staff is quite committed to the positive lifestyle and they make me smile all day everyday!

Here's a little behind the scenes action of my RD Buddies and I! After a long day of training, followed by In-Hall, followed by Lip-Sync, followed by prep for opening... my buddies and I drove to Sheetz for root beer floats, Wisconsin cheese bites, and bam bam sauce! We needed a quick little off-campus time and needed to fuel up for our busy night ahead. After our Sheetz run, we ran to Walmart and got refreshments like cookies and muffins for our opening snacks! I'm really grateful for these two! They have helped me with so many things and after we spend time together, I feel so much happier and calm. Definitely the greatest A-Team out there!



At the very end of training, I had to ensure my building was ready for the big day... which, involved doing lots of walk throughs. I did an entire walk through with my whole staff. On this walk through we practiced a mock rounds and everyone got a chance to explain their bulletin boards. I feel like this a was a great opportunity for our whole staff to bond and learn more about each other. I was seriously impressed by all of their bulletin boards and I look forward to seeing what they can create throughout the year. While doing some of my final walk throughs by myself, I came across this adorable floor decoration that you see below!
It was so incredible how much this made me smile. When I first applied, I was so nervous about this slogan... maybe it was because I came from a conservative/ private/Catholic university background? Not entirely sure... but, now it has kind of grown on me! It's definitely eye-catching!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment and stopping by Radiating Sunshine! Your comments mean the world to me, so I will do my very best to respond to them. If you have any direct questions please email me at radiatingsunshineblog@gmail.com

Remember, "every time you smile at a someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing"- Mother Teresa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...