Radiating Sunshine: Cooking on a Budget

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Cooking on a Budget

While most of the RDs eat dinner together in the dining hall, I have found another way to destress! I have always loved to cook and am now loving having my own kitchen. I've had to get used to cooking single portions (unless when Josh is up here than I need to make triple portions). So, I wanted to debut three of my meals last week. They all have similar ingredients and only cost $10 total! That is $10 for three meals and leftovers! Now, I am by no means a master chef. I often look at my ingredients and end up with my own creation. However, in my humble chef opinion you can't go wrong with olive oil and some seasoning!

Breaded Chicken with Veggies
Ingredients: chicken breasts, bread crumbs, Italian dressing, onions, green beans, red peppers, and olive oil.

Recipe:

  1. I marinated the chicken breast in the Italian dressing in the morning, so it sat all day while I was at work. 
  2. I heated two separate pans (one for the veggies and one for the chicken) with some olive oil. 
  3. I cut up the peppers, onions, and green beans, and through the onions in the pan to cook on medium heat. 
  4. I breaded the chicken and cooked it on medium heat for probably 10-15 minutes. The Italian dressing helped the breading stick to the chicken and made for a very crispy chicken breast. 
  5. While the chicken was cooking and the onions were almost caramelized I added the peppers and the beans to the veggie pan. 
  6. After the veggies were cooked I seasoned them with some garlic powder and salt/pepper. 
  7. And completely enjoyed this meal!
Chicken, Peppers, and Whole Grain Pasta
Ingredients: whole grain pasta, red pepper, green pepper, onions, chicken breast, marinara sauce, and parmesan cheese. 

Recipe
  1. Marinate the chicken breast in some olive oil, salt/pepper, and Italian seasoning
  2. Boil water in a 2-quart pot and add spaghetti 
  3. Heat two pans on medium heat with a tablespoon of olive oil
  4. Cook the chicken on medium heat for about 15 minutes
  5. Meanwhile, add the veggies to a pan and saute them in the olive oil
  6. Drain the spaghetti and with the empty water pan, heat up some sauce. 
  7. Add parmesan cheese to season. 

Risotto with Veggies
Ingredients: rice, milk, onions, green beans, green pepper, red pepper, garlic powder, italian herbs, grated parmesan, brie, salt/pepper

Recipe:
  1. Boil water and rice (I just followed the rice box directions) and added a tablespoon of olive oil
  2. Saute onions, green beans, and peppers
  3. Add 1/2 cup of milk to the rice (once all of the water has been absorbed by the rice)
  4. Cut the brie and put at the bottom of the bowl
  5. Add the rice on top of the brie and let the rice warm the brie
  6. Mix together and add the seasoning to the rice


2 comments:

  1. These look so good, especially that risotto and veggies dish! I love your dish set, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg!! Hopefully I'll be able to continue to share stuff on the blog!!

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment and stopping by Radiating Sunshine! Your comments mean the world to me, so I will do my very best to respond to them. If you have any direct questions please email me at radiatingsunshineblog@gmail.com

Remember, "every time you smile at a someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing"- Mother Teresa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...