Radiating Sunshine: While I've Been Gone

Monday, May 18, 2015

While I've Been Gone

While I've been gone... I went to senior formal (with arguably the greatest date ever), graduated from the Mount, moped around the house (post-graduation blues), went to Philadelphia (with that greatest date ever), got my final grades (4.0 what's up), and did a lot of unpacking, organizing, and repacking. It has been a really busy week and a half. I can't even wrap my mind around the fact that last week at this time I was just getting to formal and was on the dance floor! Like seriously, I have squeezed in so many great moments and life changing events in this last week that I can barely even keep up (let alone blog about it all)! Anyways, here is my best shot at updating you all:

 Formal... was a blast! After we closed down the Residence Halls, I went off to my room to get ready for Senior Formal. I was so nervous that my hair wasn't going to turn out right (it was such a humid day), but luckily with some leave-in conditioner and a lot of bobby pins, I was all set. I had an absolutely blast at formal. A bunch of my friends and I went to Sakura (a Japanese Steak House) before the dance and then we all met up in one of their hotel rooms before the dance. Josh and I decided that we weren't going to stay at the hotel, so after formal we left and went to my parent's house.

Graduation... wow! I'm a college grad. Those words still don't even feel real. But, I am very grateful for everyone who has helped me get to the place I'm at. When I went to walk across the stage, all I could focus on was (1) not tripping, (2) breathing, (3) smiling, (4) and shaking everyone's hands. My only regret was not looking and waving to my professors when they stood up for me. After the ceremony, my dad asked me why I didn't look over and I was like "I was just trying to get back to my seat successfully and that was all I was focusing on." You work so hard to graduate and then you're actually graduating and suddenly the hardest thing you have to do is to walk across the stage and say goodbye to everyone who has helped you, loved you, and made you who you are.
Grieving... the week leading up to graduation everyone was really sad about graduating and saying their goodbyes. I kept hearing "this is our last" (fill in the blank). I remained very strong throughout the whole week. Probably because I had finals and so much to prepare for before moving out. So, when I packed up my room on Monday (a week ago) and drove home... all of the emotions hit me at once. I just moped around the house the entire day. And of course, when Josh got there the real tears started coming and sure enough I woke up the next morning with a headache and swollen eyes. 
But, what boosted my spirits was Josh and my trip to Philadelphia! We only went to Philly for a few days, but it was so incredibly nice. I love going on adventures with this guy and I'm proud to say we almost mastered the streets of Philadelphia. We really knew our way around the city on the last day. While in Philly, we saw a Phillies vs. Pirates Game, the Liberty Bell, a lot of nice parks, the famous LOVE statue, etc! We went to the zoo and had some delicious food (hahaha of course cheesesteaks)!
When we came back sadness set in! I was just so sad that graduation was over and our trip had passed! But, on Sunday (yesterday) we had my graduation party and a few college friends drove down to see me and so many of my family members came out! I was seriously in heaven with all of my friends, family, and Josh! Even Josh's brother, Jonathan came down, which was a really special treat. He is such a nice guy and I love when we all get to hang out.

As the night and the post- graduation week came to a close, we all sat around and sang "Remember When" by Alan Jackson. It was kind of a somber and bittersweet moment, but if I have learned anything over the last week it is that I hope I "remember when" we did so many fun things or I laughed until I cried.

At my party, a lot of my cousins asked me if I had any advice or if anything really stuck out from college and the transition process. In the moment, I struggled with coming up with something really good to say. But, now all I can say is enjoy every moment you have. Whether it is staying up late to study or write a paper or going out "back roading" with friends. They may be brief moments of your life, but when you put them all together they are some of the best memories you will ever have. When you're old and gray, you're going to look around and meet up with old friends and you can definitely bet you'll say, "remember when."

1 comment:

  1. Awww congratulations on graduating!! You looked stunning at the formal, and I can't wait to follow along as you begin these next steps :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment and stopping by Radiating Sunshine! Your comments mean the world to me, so I will do my very best to respond to them. If you have any direct questions please email me at radiatingsunshineblog@gmail.com

Remember, "every time you smile at a someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing"- Mother Teresa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...