Radiating Sunshine: One Month

Friday, April 10, 2015

One Month

Today, I woke up with an alert from my Countdown App telling me that there is exactly 30 days until graduation. I thought man, how is that possible? I watched so many friends graduate and move on and now it is my turn. Now people are watching me do the same thing. It feels so weird knowing that in 30 days, I'll be walking across the stage receiving my Bachelors of Science in Psychology. 

Many things have changed over the past four years, while so many things have also stayed the same. I can definitely say that I am not the same person I once was. Even my sperries (that I still use, but are literally rotting) are sitting in my shoe basket, but look totally different. Since Freshmen year, I have gained the freshmen 15,  and then lost the freshmen 15... and then I gained a few pounds since turning 21, and am still working on losing that currently ;). I look back at pictures over the years and my hair has been long, extra long, shoulder length, ear length, etc! 

It's kind of funny how many things have changed. Over these past four years I have made lasting friendships and have lost some too. I became an RA and found my passion working with college students and helping to foster a great community. I have had fabulous professors who have cultivated and enriched my understanding of the world. I have laughed until I've cried. My viewpoints on life and what I want out of life have even changed. 
 Even my tastes in colors and patterns have changed. I look back at my freshmen year dorm and kind of cringe at the sight of what I thought was really cute. And then I laugh at how Hannah and I rearranged this room (or really just me) 10 times over until we finally found something that satisfied us both. Actually, thinking back to it-- I can't really remember what we ended up going with...

Anyways, looking back at Freshmen year compared to now; all I see is the progress I have made. Grant it, I still love a good Disney movie (although I don't watch them nearly as much as I did that year). I have truly become a leader in my community. I'm involved, I still play intramural soccer, volunteer with best buds, hang out with friends, make cute crafts, etc.
Over the past four years, I have literally seen parts of the world that I have only ever dreamed about. I have started to learn Sign Language. I am moving to PA next month for work and graduate school. I'm dating this incredible man who is as smart as he is kind. I'm still eternally grateful to my parents and family for all of the support that they give me. They literally let me leave them for summers at a time to work in different states and gain the experiences needed to be a good Student Affairs practitioner one day!

I think college changes people. Yes, in the obvious way where you grow up, get older, and most of the time you mature. But, I think it changes people (or maybe just me) in another way too... college is the time where you can be yourself. You can meet people who are like you. You can get involved in activities that you like. You can basically work on perfecting who you are. I'm so glad I have chosen to work a job where I get the opportunity to constantly work with students who are in this stage of their life.

I'm going to enjoy these next thirty days as much as possible. I'm going to soak up every moment spent studying, hanging out with friends,  or with my residents, going to work, presenting my senior thesis, and living at this school. I've always heard that college is the best years of your life and I'm definitely going to live it up while I still can!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment and stopping by Radiating Sunshine! Your comments mean the world to me, so I will do my very best to respond to them. If you have any direct questions please email me at radiatingsunshineblog@gmail.com

Remember, "every time you smile at a someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing"- Mother Teresa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...