Radiating Sunshine: Cooking with Kids

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Cooking with Kids

A few months ago, the President of my university adopted for children from East Timor, a small country in Southeast Asia! I started mentoring them and for awhile I felt like I was teaching them stuff. Like how to say something, or play cards, or do math. But now that they are settled in and really learning how things work over here, they are teaching me things! Last time I was over there, they started to teach me some Tetun (the language that they speak there). Nico, the oldest boy also taught me how to cook bok choy, which has become one of my favorite vegetables! 

 So, today I'm sharing with you all how to cook bok choy! It is a light and classic vegetable and pairs very nicely with rice. It is really simple to cook and it's delicious.

This is how you do it:

1) Prepare the vegetables. They cut the onions and cut down the bok choy
2) Add a little vegetable oil to the pan or wok
3) Saute the onions first for about 4 minutes
4) Then, add the bok choy
5) Cover with a lid and cook the bok choy until it is soft
6)  Add 2 tbsp chicken flavor broth mix to the bok choy and onions and mix well. 
 7) And serve over rice!
 When they first cooked it for me, I was a little hesitant. But, this dish is so delicious and affordable. I kept finding myself going back for second and thirds and before I knew it almost all of the vegetables were gone! I only have a few more days left of working with these guys and hopefully they can teach me more things before I move to PA!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment and stopping by Radiating Sunshine! Your comments mean the world to me, so I will do my very best to respond to them. If you have any direct questions please email me at radiatingsunshineblog@gmail.com

Remember, "every time you smile at a someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing"- Mother Teresa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...