Radiating Sunshine: Teena's Legacy

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Teena's Legacy

Today, I'm writing about a special cause that I recently was connected with. Teena's Legacy gives women a second chance. The campaign is currently raising money to get the project started and it would mean a lot to me, if y'all hopped over their and helped support this great cause. 
"My name is Jamika Smith, 2 years ago I founded Teena's Legacy in honor of my grandmother Alberteen Stredrick (Teena). My grandmother helped my mother raise me in one of Chicago's low income housing projects. My grandmother transitioned back in 2010, and in 2012 I started Teena's Legacy. 

My grandmother was a self taught seamstress/interior designer. She taught me how to sew and re-upholster furniture when I was younger. After having my daughter in 2011, I chose not to go back to a 9 to 5 job. I have a Bachelors and Masters, just to come full circle and do something I'm naturally good at


I started the Indiegogo campaign to fund my summer program teaching young women the trade of re-upholstering furniture, as a tool to find out Who They Are As Individuals. I use this trade as a metaphor: How do we replace the old with the new? How do we mend the broken pieces inside? etc.

The project serves young women living in Chicago's and Gary's inner city, who have disadvantages in education and job placement."

Please, join me in supporting Jamika and Teena's Legacy! This campaign is not just about raising money. I encourage you to offer up prayers, look to donate things to be reupholstered, and or spread the news. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment and stopping by Radiating Sunshine! Your comments mean the world to me, so I will do my very best to respond to them. If you have any direct questions please email me at radiatingsunshineblog@gmail.com

Remember, "every time you smile at a someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing"- Mother Teresa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...