Radiating Sunshine: Adventure Can Be a Real Happiness

Monday, March 3, 2014

Adventure Can Be a Real Happiness


This past Spring Break was so amazing-- like I would ever complain about being home. I went to lunch, did puzzles with my grandma, volunteered, finished homework assignments, did laundry, cleaned the house, made desserts, went to a baptism, saw friends, talked with loved ones… I could go on and on about the things I did, who I did them with, and when I did them… but, posts like that sometimes get very boring, very quickly. 

So, instead I thought I'd discuss one topic to recap break with and that's adventures. I went on a hot date with my lovely sister on Friday night. We went to see a movie, had dinner at P.F. Changs, and then did some shopping. Anyways, after dinner our waitress brought out some fortune cookies and as we chose which, one we wanted I realized that happiness follows me everywhere. 

"Adventure can be a real happiness"… man oh man! What a fortune. Between us, I think Brooke was kind of disappointed that she didn't get such a thoughtful fortune, but as I sit here thinking about what it means I can't help but, break down the sentence. 

Adventure can be 
a real {happiness} 

A 'real' happiness? As oppose to 'fake' happiness? Adventures can bring you that happiness. This break I didn't physically go on any adventures. Sure, I explored downtown Baltimore and drove out to Pikesville with Hannah to meet our friend, Alex for lunch. But, as far as going on a nature walk or trying a new food, my adventurous side was kind of lacking this break. 

But, when I revaluate what adventure means… I realize that I did go on an adventure. I read two books over break, Divergent and Insurgent. Two books from the Divergent series written by Veronica Roth. I literally spent all day on Monday reading, Divergent and then tried to convince myself that I could wait to read Insurgent. Less then 24 hours later, I purchased Insurgent on the kindle and began to read that story. I loved falling into the world of Divergent and tagging along on the crazy adventures that span the series. Any novel that makes me think about who I truly am or "what faction I would be placed in" is a book for me! Thank you, Veronica Roth for bringing me some adventures and happiness this break. 

There is a famous saying about one who finds pleasure in reading… "a reader lives a thousand lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives only one"- George GG Martin

Also, I picked up an additional identity over break:

librocubicularist: (n) a person who reads in bed. 

I'm also gonna be regretting not really exercising this break come… unless you're willing to count the bed, to kitchen, to bed, to bathroom, to bed, to play with dogs, to bed, to sofa, to kitchen table, to bed, to kitchen; routine I was on. 

I am publicly stating now that I'm going to wait to purchase Allegiant until Easter Break. Hopefully some delayed gratification, will make me a better person. 

4 comments:

  1. I've actually gotten that fortune before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you! That's funny… they definitely recycle those fortunes haha.

      Delete
  2. I loved Divergent - and consumed it in all of one day. The other two were a little rough - I'm curious to see what you think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Divergent. I also finished Insurgent over break and it was okay. The first was definitely better, but I liked the ending to the second one!

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment and stopping by Radiating Sunshine! Your comments mean the world to me, so I will do my very best to respond to them. If you have any direct questions please email me at radiatingsunshineblog@gmail.com

Remember, "every time you smile at a someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing"- Mother Teresa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...