Radiating Sunshine: A Day Without Technology?

Thursday, February 27, 2014

A Day Without Technology?

a. day. without. technology, the internet.

it's possible, blog friends.

well it's kind of possible… 

For my 101 in 1001 I decided that one thing I really wanted to do was to unplug myself from the world… Being a blogger means I'm constantly plugged into social media. Whether its twitter, instagram, Facebook, or blogger I'm pretty checked in on what's happening. It's not necessarily a bad thing. I wouldn't say I'm addicted to the internet by any means. But, my morning routine has social media incorporated and half the things that I take pictures of now, I only take because of the blog. So, when I was creating my 101 in 1001 list I knew that having technology removed for a day would be a refreshing break.

But, when I thought about removing technology from my life… I didn't know how to define it. Like, what would it mean if I removed technology from my life for a day? Does that mean, I can't call/text anyone or use electricity. How am I am going to make dinner without using the stove or the oven?

I realized that cutting all technology out of my life- wasn't really the answer. But, limiting my technology use and cutting my internet access was. So, this passed Monday I cut the internet (minus a pre-scheduled blog post, so don't count that against me) and got back to the basics.

So, what did I do? 

Yeah, I didn't think I was gonna be able to do it when I made the goal… but, to be honest it just kind of happened. I realized that after waking up with the pups at 7am and taking care of them… I didn't feel like watching tv. I didn't feel like checking my computer. So, I didn't… Instead I made myself a yummy breakfast, got a book, and read… for the whole day. Yes, occasionally I answered a text or sent an email to my mom. And yes, I watched a little tv with my little sister. But, primarily I read. I went for a walk. I sat outside and embraced the cold and the sunshine all at once. And I felt so much freer.

Now, as a blogger and a student cutting the internet/social media isn't really the most practical option. But, I can limit my use and I can take a step back. After Monday, I realized is that its so relieving to just remove myself sometimes. It's like taking a breathe of fresh air.

2 comments:

  1. This is so cool! I did something like this too, its wonderful! :) Also, I nominated you for a Liebster Award! You can check it out here: http://tallsocksandpolkadots.wordpress.com/2014/02/28/liebster-award-2014/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely refreshing! And thank you, will do :)

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment and stopping by Radiating Sunshine! Your comments mean the world to me, so I will do my very best to respond to them. If you have any direct questions please email me at radiatingsunshineblog@gmail.com

Remember, "every time you smile at a someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing"- Mother Teresa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...