Radiating Sunshine: A Chance of a Lifetime

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

A Chance of a Lifetime

So, if you frequently visit my little blog... then you know that I'm an RA and I love it! It is seriously one of the greatest decisions I've ever made and I have met so many amazing people throughout this Higher Education journey. However, one downside for student workers (RAs and ACs) in the Residence Life office is that we sign a contract employing us for both the fall and the spring semesters of the academic school year. So, that means plans to study abroad are very limited and since I am both an RA and an AC, I pretty much writ off all opportunities to study abroad throughout undergrad. I knew that one day I would regret not studying abroad, but I genuinely love my job and I did not want to give it up, even for the opportunity to travel to a new place. 

I have watched close friends head to places in Europe and it has been great seeing them all go on adventures and try new things. Naturally, I lived vicariously through their trips. I looked at their photos and their travel blogs and I knew that if there was ever an opportunity to go, that would not place my job in jeopardy, I would take it.

And, then I got the email about the summer study abroad trip this summer… 


and after pitching the idea to my parents on the many benefits of studying abroad, they finally said yes. I have now officially started my countdown until I leave for Austria…. which is in 181 days. So, for the month of June, Radiating Sunshine will transform into a tiny travel blog/diary and you all will be able to join me on my adventures in the historical city of Salzburg.

I am over the moon excited for this chance of a lifetime and I can't wait to experience a different culture. If you have any advice for studying abroad I would love to hear about it, please feel free to email me or comment below, but seriously I'm open to all advice. 

I am beyond blessed to receive a wonderful opportunity to go on an amazing adventure. Oh, and I forgot to mention that one of my favorite childhood movies was filmed there, The Sound of Music… so guess who is gonna be that tourist freaking out and singing Do-Re-Mi in public whenever she get the chance :)

p.s. I really need some advice on some Europe Travel tips so please hit up the comment box if you have any advice for a college student traveling on a budget. Love you all so much!

p.s.s THANK YOU MOM AND DAD! I will probably thank you both a million times over the next 181 days and then will continue to express my gratitude even when I'm in Austria and when I return back to the States. So, be ready :) But, seriously thank you. 

13 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, so amazing! I went to Greece for two weeks in college and absolutely LOVED it! You're going to have the time of your life!

    XOXO
    Chelsea
    http://www.anchorsaweighblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chelsea! Oh Greece would be so amazing. I seriously can't even fully wrap my mind around going!

      - Alex @ Radiating Sunshine
      alexmhons.blogspot.com

      Delete
  2. What an amazing opportunity! Austria is beautiful. I stayed near Innsbruck in a small town called Seefeld. It's a very clean country. The food is delicious, the people were nice and the scenery is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lulu for sharing your experience! I can't wait and maybe I'll come across Seefeld while I'm there.

      - Alex @ Radiating Sunshine

      Delete
  3. Hey, I'm here from the Grab a Friend blog swap and I'm just visiting some blogs.

    It's great that you will be travelling abroad, I spent a year in France teaching English - it was great! 181 days will just fly by.

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Corrine for stopping by! And man that sounds like an amazing experience.

      - Alex @ Radiating Sunshine

      Delete
  4. You seriously need to bring a ton of spinny dresses and find fields to dance around and sing in haha! I am soooo happy for you! I loooove studying abroad in the summer. I almost had the same situation as you, except mine was for athletics. Golf was both a fall and spring sport, so I couldn't leave either semester. Also, my college HIGHLY stressed a full year abroad program, and that was too much for me. YAAAYY so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely gonna bring a ton of dresses and act all touristy. And I know its crazy how we both have become so lucky to have had the opportunity to travel. And woahh a full year, I definitely couldn't have done that.

      - Alex @ Radiating Sunshine

      Delete
  5. I have no idea what an RA is but your move to Austria sounds interesting!!! Looking forward to reading about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An RA is Resident Assistant. Basically, I live in a Residence Hall with a group of students and I do programming and make sure they are having a safe college experience. And yay, thanks Susanne!

      - Alex @ Radiating Sunshine

      Delete
  6. WOOOHOOO!!!! I am SO happy for you girl . I am sure it would be a lot of fun to study there , new people and new places .
    Noor | Noor's Place

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Thanks Noor! I honestly can't wait.

      - Alex @ Radiating Sunshine
      alexmhons.blogspot.com

      Delete
  7. Ugh, I want to travel abroad so badly, it's just so expensive. It's always been a dream of mine! I was all signed up and ready to study abroad in Australia, when the opportunity ended up falling through. I've thought about taking a couple months off to travel abroad after I graduate. Not sure which I'll do yet!

    kaitlyn-danielle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment and stopping by Radiating Sunshine! Your comments mean the world to me, so I will do my very best to respond to them. If you have any direct questions please email me at radiatingsunshineblog@gmail.com

Remember, "every time you smile at a someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing"- Mother Teresa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...