Radiating Sunshine: Thelma's No Bake Cake

Monday, June 18, 2012

Thelma's No Bake Cake

This recipe was created by a very special mother/grandmother, Thelma Russell.

I never got the chance to meet Thelma, but from the stories I have heard I just know she was a remarkable woman and a great mother and grandmother. 

Thelma is my boyfriend's mother's mother aka his grandmother; and from the stories that have been shared I wish I got the chance to meet her. However, one day two summers ago my boyfriend's mom shared with me this no bake cake recipe that her own mom shared with her. 

This cake takes about 15 minutes to prepare, so if you are just craving something sweet or preparing for a party and don't have time to bake something, here is the easiest recipe you don't want to miss!


My boyfriend and his nanny, Thelma!

The Ingredients
Ingredients:

- 1 Sara Lee poundcake from the freezer section
- 2 cubes of bittersweet chocolate
- 1 tub of Coolwhip
- 5 tablespoons give or take of jam that's a berry based -- I used raspberry jam
- And fruit to decorate the dish



Directions: 


Step 1: Shave the 2 cubes of bittersweet chocolate and combine with 5 tablespoons of jam; mix together well.
Note: Remember to save a bit of the bittersweet chocolate shavings for decoration


This is how mine turned out!

Step Two: Cut the poundcake into thirds


Step Three: Apply the jam and chocolate mixture to the first layer and then repeat with the middle layer. 

Note: You are not applying any jam to the top of the poundcake

Step Four: Gently stack the layers on top of each other


Step Five: Spread the Cool-whip evenly over the entire cake and sprinkle some leftover bittersweet chocolate shavings on top. 

Note: I didn't use the entire tub of Cool-whip

Step Six: Serve then or refrigerate until ready to be served. 




So easy to package!
Step Seven: Enjoy!

We also made this cake for my boyfriend's 20th birthday and trust me there were no leftovers!
I had some fun with decorating the cake!



This recipe and cake is dedicated to Thelma Russell, a wonderful mother and grandmother. 

1 comment:

  1. Nice work, Alex! Love that picture of Chad and Nanny. He's so cute and innocent there haha. I suggest the next recipe of hers that you should do is fried chicken and dumplings. Prep time is NOT 15min though haha

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment and stopping by Radiating Sunshine! Your comments mean the world to me, so I will do my very best to respond to them. If you have any direct questions please email me at radiatingsunshineblog@gmail.com

Remember, "every time you smile at a someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing"- Mother Teresa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...