Radiating Sunshine: Mini- Apple Pies

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Mini- Apple Pies

Apple pies in May? Yes! Last Sunday I was really craving a fruity dessert. So I looked around in the kitchen and all we had were apples. So I decided I would try to make an apple pie my way. I didn't want to just make a regular pie though... I decided to try mini apple pies. 

These mini apple pies are perfect for parties and holidays!

This was one of the easiest desserts I have ever made and it only took an hour and a half of my time!


You can use any apple you have around the house.
Doesn't have to be a baking apple like Granny Smiths!

 Recipe

Ingredients:

8 cups of chopped, peeled apples (About 4 apples)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup of flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg


Pie Crust Ingredients: 
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup unsalted butter, slightly softened and diced (2 sticks)
6 to 8 tablespoons ice water


For on top of the pie crust: (Pie Crust Topping)
1 egg yolk 
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Note: Traditional recipes call for 1 teaspoon of salt but to reduce the sodium I only used 1/4 teaspoon. 

Directions: Preheat oven to 425 degrees F

1) In a large bowl, toss the chopped apples with lemon juice
2) Then add the sugars, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg; toss well

3) Grease the muffin pan I used butter but pam works just as well!
4) Cut and roll out dough to fit in the muffin pan holes

5) Fill each hole with apple mixture; fill to the top of the pan

6) With remaining pie crust you can do whatever design you would like; I just put three lines intersecting over top of my mini pies. 
7) Then brush the pie crust topping over top of your mini pies. 

8) Bake at 425 degrees F for 15 minutes

9) Reduce heat to 350 degrees F and bake for 15 minutes or until the top of the pies are golden brown. 

10) Enjoy these wonderful mini-apple pies! 


Pie Crust Directions: 

1) Combine flour, salt, and sugar in a bowl and use a mixer; pulse to mix. Add butter and mix until mixture resembles coarse meal with pieces of butter in it. 
2) Add ice water 1 tablespoon at a time while continuing to mix. The mixture should gradually become doughy. 

Mine was very doughy which made it easier to work with when making the little circles for the muffin pan. After the mini-pies were baked the crust was perfect!

** You can use a food processor to get a flaky crust, replace where you blend with pulses**



Mini-Apple Pies go perfect with vanilla ice-cream!
Later Sunday evening, I warmed one mini-pie up in the microwave for 20 seconds and then added a scoop of vanilla ice-cream in a bowl and it made a wonderful and small dessert!! Plus the portion size was great! No more cutting too-big of pieces! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment and stopping by Radiating Sunshine! Your comments mean the world to me, so I will do my very best to respond to them. If you have any direct questions please email me at radiatingsunshineblog@gmail.com

Remember, "every time you smile at a someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing"- Mother Teresa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...